Living Life

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

What is going on ?!?!?!?

I was chatting with a few friends a couple of days ago ... and then one of them said something like she sometimes gets surprised when she finds out that "some respectable looking people live in "notorious" districts !!" What !??!!? Here we go again I thought to myself ... another generalisation.... what is it with everyone? So I found myself saying " Why do you find it surprising? It's so simple...people used to take flats under the "old rental system" (egar 2adeem)and start their families wherever they found a reasonable flat....those people were all types of people ..."mowazafeen", engineers, doctors ... people starting their lives and families..... sometimes the districts they chose to live in long ago would turn into "notorious" places with time .... what were they to do about that?!?!?! Move ?!?! What if they didn't have the money to do so (which is the case with many) ??!?! What were they supposed to do then ?!??! Was their reputation going to go "down the drain" because of something like that? Besides, people make their reputation for themselves not by the places where they live.... people know who's who." So she said "I know....but that's for the people who know them ... what about the people who don't really know them and judge from outside?" ..... "Then they don't have the right to judge." was what I said .. .and that was the end of the conversation ..... we weren't snapping at each other... it was a kind of "by the way" conversation .... but it got me thinking about what's happening here in Egypt .... then I read this post in Arabic and got me thinking even more .....
What is going on ya gama3a ?!?!?!?!?

2 Comments:

At 9/01/2005 01:32:00 AM, Blogger roora said...

Yes ya Me , Generalization take place in Egypt , but thee are some districts in Egypt that are actually kind of bad ,
Veru weird , i was in Gamaat El Dewel Street in Mohandesseen , which is supposed to be a god place and i went to a street behing it and i found myslef transfered to a completely different culture as if I am in a village actually , the difference was great but very small in distance , just behind it begad.

I agree with you generalization is bad , but frankly if some one lives in a bad place , it might effect his image , and maybe yes they can't afford but this is how it goes , which is unfair and not good.
Maybe because we are here actually judging and caring too much by the superficiality and by showing off.

 
At 9/01/2005 09:10:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

yeah Roora, I understand what you mean... but there has been just toooo much showing off around me these days :-/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home