Living Life

Friday, January 13, 2006

Teaching? Guiding? Helping?

I just commented on a post about teaching on Doshar's blog ... and it triggered me to write a post I've been postponing for so long...

I've been teaching English as a Second Language since 2001... started as something part time ... a hobby... but then I found I enjoyed it sooooo much I wouldn't give it up....

But what is teaching exactly? Do you instruct? Do you train your students? Do you lead and show them the way? Do you help them learn? But what does "learn" mean? Does it mean "to be taught"? Or "to gain knowledge"?

So many questions... and so many answers... depends on who you're teaching and what you're teaching....

My experience has taught me (and what does "taught" mean again? ;-) that to make students learn English ... you must make them first "want to learn" ... and know why they want to learn... then guide them through it... help them acquire what they want to ... not "give it" to them ... elicit it from them... bring it out from them.... they must feel that you are there to guide them... but to learn... they must make an effort .... and enjoy that effort... and then feel the "thrill" of being able to use a language they once knew nothing of !!!

It isn't as blissful as I make it sound.. but I do try to do what I can to make it that way... I don't always succeed but there are many times that I do...

But it isn't all about acquiring knowledge... there's the discipline part too ... and that's the tricky part ... especially with adults... I always put myself in their shoes... what would I feel like if I were sitting there?

I started teaching when I was 22... most of my students were older than me... I'd have men in their early forties ... or housewives in their late thirties... people who didn't have a chance to learn English.... and I realised it's all about "respect" .... show them respect ... it reflects..... they give you respect... the point is I genuinely respected them... I appreciated the fact that they were coming to learn... sometimes with the younger ones ... the ones around my age or a little younger... I'd have a few problems ... but nothing really major.... I gradually learnt when to have to stop at a problem and when to let it go....

Now I'm part of a sort of "crash course" programme... I go from 9-3 with 2 half hour breaks .... by the end of the day I'm quite exhausted and so are my students (I have 16) .... a couple of weeks ago... one of my relatively good students almost dozed in class... it was around 2:30 ... and I saw his head nod... I chose not to look in his direction and pretend I hadn't seen him ... I don't think anyone felt that I'd seen him.... at the end of class I found him waiting for me at the door ... telling me he's really sorry for what happened in class 30 mins ago ... I couldn't believe it .... here was this 28 year old gentleman ... owning up to me... out of respect... now had I embarrassed him ... would he have felt that way?
Not all cases are the same ... and I sometimes deliberately ask students who are always not paying attention to join in something we're discussing... but like I said ... you eventually learn when to stop and when to let go....

In all I think I enjoy teaching... I don't know how I'd feel if I were teaching something like Physics for example... but language teaching suits me just fine....
I think to teach you must keep in mind that you're helping people acquire and gain something they don't know... you guide them and show them the way... and try to make them value what you're leading them to....

3 Comments:

At 1/14/2006 12:58:00 AM, Blogger roora said...

sounds great me ! you know what from all the things that I might be doing I found that teaching and studying is the most enjoyable thing , I like the fact that I m learning ! I am planning ISA that this would be my future career either in a private university after finishing my masters ISA or anything. It fits me beside that it fits women on a general basis.

But you know ! when I tell people that they keep on telling me " the students haykloony" I dont why ,but whenever I remeber the doctors in college or in my school , I feel that the presentation and communication skills are equally imortant as your level of knowledge itself.

I speak quite quickly (dont know if you realized that) and prople 's comments on my presentations that I need to stress a bit on my words , well I guess I should have some sort or presenatation course before I go to this.

and maybe I will take from you nd doshar sme tips as well ISA

 
At 1/15/2006 10:41:00 AM, Blogger Rain said...

Me,
I'm really happy to know this is ur view when choosing teaching to be ur career , as I told u b4, i consider it a sacred job..I like the the idea of helping others , and being indirectly part of their life..

 
At 1/16/2006 08:10:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

Roora,

You're right about the presentation skills... it's not all about the knowledge you have.. it's about being able to convey that and being able to make your students feel eager to know more... but believe me the students mesh 7ayaklooky walla 7aagah if you show them that you're firm from the begining ... I mean enti shofti manzarri ... ma-akalooneesh ya3ni ;-)

Will be glad to hep whenever you make that decision ya gameela :)

Rain,

Thanks a million ya gameela....I do enjoy teaching fe3lan ... even though I miss engineering like crazy and am dying to pick up a drawing and do all the calculations and draw on the PC !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home