Living Life

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Where should I stay?

So little bro has finished his first 45 days of military training... what comes next ? He gets sent to some place in Egypt to spend the rest of the year... the ironic thing is for some reason I don't understand they never get positioned in their hometowns... it's like a system or something... people from Alexandria get sent to places like Marsa Matrouh in the west.... Caireons get sent to Sina or soemthing .. etc etc .... now what happens is everyone tries to get help ... wasta ya3ni... to move to his hometown... we've been trying to do this for little bro... don't know how things will work out yet ... only God knows .... Rabena yesahil inshAllah....

Mama is really worried ... she has to go back to Libya next Friday max... her visa ends .... she's been here for 2 months ... Wow ... 2 whole months... and now she must go back... what's worrying her is .. what if little bro isn't in Alex? Where am I going to stay? I have 2 options...

a) My granny and unmarried aunt ... but they live somewhere which is just so far away from everywhere I go... I mean ... work, NGO, mosque, ... everywhere... another thing is ... no internet connection....

b)My aunt (dad's sis) .... lives around 15 mins from our flat... close enough to work...my cousins are all married... but one of them still practically lives there coz her hubby works at sea... has 2 kids who love to sit and chat with me... no internet connection either..

I'm trying to tell mama not to worry ... I'll manage ... but the truth is I don't want to stay at either place.... I do love them all... and I'm sure they'd do their best to make me comfortable and at home... but it would still be too much of a hassle.... I mean I won't be able to tag all of my things along... plus when I prepare my lessons I always get those late night ideas that have me rummaging through our drawers and shelves for anything ranging from travel guides to canelloni !! And now with another part time job as an engineer (yesssss !!! just started 10 days ago) I also keep going back to my books to check things out....So I think I'd prefer to come back from work to our flat... have lunch, relax, and work... then take my things for the next day and go to sleep over at my aunt's.... it won't be easy... maybe tiring... but for me... that may be the most suitable thing to do...

Who knows... maybe I don't need to do that... maybe little bro gets positioned in Alex (ya Rab!!).... isA everything goes well and Rabena yerratebha lela7san....

Note: Some of you may be thinking "What's the big deal? Why don't you just stay at your flat?" ...it's just that it's still not "culturally acceptable" here to do that... and I'm sure my Egyptian blogger friends know what I'm talking about...

5 Comments:

At 3/07/2006 04:55:00 PM, Blogger Rain said...

Ouch :S... It's really hard to solve....so can't somebody come and live with u instead?

 
At 3/08/2006 08:09:00 AM, Blogger LouLou said...

That's a tough one ya Meme. I know how you feel. I had the same problem when my parents were leaving UAE. Didn't want to leave my job but if I wanted to stay I would have had to stay with my uncle's family. Baba kept saying he was tired from work & wanted to retire 7 then extending because of me year after year.

In the end I felt bad for him but I wasn't comfortable with the idea of staying with my uncle so I made up my mind to move to Morocco with my parents. Living here alone was not an option. Even when I was at university in the US that was only possible because my brother was there. They wouldn't have let me go alone.

It was a 'what will people say' kind of mindset too. Personally I couldn't care less what people say but it was important to my parents & I wouldn't hurt them for anything.

In your case I think Rain's idea sounds good. Maybe you can invite relatives to stay with you each for as long as they can until your bro is done. Ya3ni aunts, cousins etc....Or you can think of hiring an older woman if your family knows someone reliable to act as housekeeper/chaperone. My cousin did that when she had to move to Rabat(from Casa) for work. Her old nanny went with her & that seemed to solve the problem.

Best of luck for your bro. ISA he won't be stationed too far & you won't need to worry about any of this.

 
At 3/09/2006 09:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would go with Rain's question, can't someone come and live with you instead?!! what about your aunt?? Hope all goes well, this is really tough...ma3lesh...all will be good isa.

 
At 3/09/2006 12:15:00 PM, Blogger doshar said...

mish 3arfa ya me, i think you can stay on your own anyway... it is not the same as getting your own apartment. it is like ypour parents are out of town for hte weekend, you can stay alone. and you won;t be totally alone... cause little bro. will come home quite regualrly. also your mom won't be too long... so for a few weeks , i think it is acceptable. it is not labeled: living alone. just staying alone when your parents are not around. i know several people who have done this with no problem culturally speaking...

unless you have wild parties or you are afraid to sleep alone at night!

 
At 3/10/2006 02:26:00 PM, Blogger Wonderer said...

I think the only solution is trying to get a live-in maid and try to convince your parents that you will be better on yourself plus you have this maid living with you and you won't be alone.

Q: how come your mum has a visa for Egypt? Is she libian, I thought she is Egyptian? just curious:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home