Living Life

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Talk to convince

Want to learn how to be one of "those" succesful speakers ? Want to hold everyone's attention ?

No... no .. this isn't an advertisement :-D ... just that my brother bought one of those used books I never thought I'd find myself reading ... it's called "The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking" by Dale Carnegie.... been reading it for quite a while ... quite interesting .... still haven't had the chance to apply what I've read though.... anyway .... today I started reading Chapter 9 : Making the Talk to Convince ... voila !! ... what a coincidence !! .... with all the online debates around ...

Here are excerpts I liked :

"My way of opening and winning an argument," confided Lincoln,"is to first find a common ground of agreement." Lincoln found it even when he was discussing the highly inflammable subject of slavery,"For the first half hour," declared The Mirror, a neutral paper reporting one of his talks,"his opponents would agree with every word he uttered. From that point he began to lead them off, little by little, until it seemed as if he had got them all into his fold"

"Is it not evident that the speaker who argues with his audience is merely arousing their stubborness, putting them on the defensive, making it well-nigh impossible for them to change their mind? Is it wise to start by saying, "I am going to prove so and so"? Aren't your hearers liable to accept that as a challenge and remark silently, "Let's see you do it"?

"Is it not much more advantageous to begin by stressing something that you and all of your hearers believe, and then to raise some pertinent question that everyone would like to have answered? Then take your audience with you in an earnest search for the answer. While on that search, present the facts as you see them so clearly that they will be lead to accept your conclusions as their own. They will have much more faith in some truth that they have discovered for themselves. " The best argument is that which seems merely an explanation."

7 Comments:

At 9/08/2005 11:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never managed to get myself to read such books...don't believe in theortical stuff awi...I would go for a workshop or a more interactive thing. Thanks for sharing ya gamila

 
At 9/08/2005 12:24:00 PM, Blogger roora said...

ME , that sounds interesting , I am not into reading except for books that are written in a way that attrackts me .Are they?

I will ask about them here in Cairo, and if i went to alex , i will ask in Alex library and if not in ElAsbakya , it is great !!

I read another book called" men from mars and women in venus on a date" , another version after " men from mars and women from venus " but the that one on date wasn't into our culture, so it wasn;'t useful at all.:)

 
At 9/09/2005 06:09:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

yep ya Nerro, workshops are more effective ... but sometimes books aren't so bad if they're written an interesting way..

Roora,
This one is written in an appealing way... dunno about the others though ... and you know what ... ElAzbakeya has really good stuff ... my bro got some really good books from there but I've never been there myself...

 
At 9/12/2005 03:17:00 PM, Blogger doshar said...

i think I like this book! maybe you can lend it to us ba3dein when you finish it? if your brother agrees tab3an!

 
At 9/13/2005 11:46:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

My pleasure ya Do... I'll ask my bro :-P Kidding ...just tell me when you'll be in Alex isA...

 
At 9/14/2005 09:48:00 AM, Blogger doshar said...

me, i am going to alex today ISA!!

but in the north coast :(

nefsy ashoofek wallahi ya bent. are you coming to cairo soon?

 
At 9/14/2005 01:38:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

Teru7i we terga3i besalama ya gamila :-) ... and don't you worry .. when i come to cairo i'll surely tell you ... emmaal meen 7ayfasa7ni ? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home