Living Life

Monday, October 03, 2005

Currently reading....

Am currently reading a book called "Women in Islam Versus Women in the Judaeo-Christian TraditionThe Myth and The Reality" By Sherif Abdel Azim ... really simple style.... and what the author wrote in the introduction is so true... here it is

"I would like to emphasize in this introduction that my purpose for this study is not to denigrate Judaism or Christianity. As Muslims, we believe in the divine origins of both. No one can be a Muslim without believing in Moses and Jesus as great prophets of God. My goal is only to vindicate Islam and pay a tribute, long overdue in the West, to the final truthful Message from God to the human race. I would also like to emphasize that I concerned myself only with Doctrine. That is, my concern is, mainly, the position of women in the three religions as it appears in their original sources not as practised by their millions of followers in the world today. Therefore, most of the evidence cited comes from the Quran, the sayings of Prophet Muhammad, the Bible, the Talmud, and the sayings of some of the most influential Church Fathers whose views have contributed immeasurably to defining and shaping Christianity. This interest in the sources relates to the fact that understanding a certain religion from the attitudes and the behaviour of some of its nominal followers is misleading. Many people confuse culture with religion, many others do not know what their religious books are saying, and many others do not even care."

I like this part too...

Ambassador Herman Eilts, in a testimony in front of the committee on Foreign Affairs of the House of Representatives of the United States Congress on June 24th, 1985, said, "The Muslim community of the globe today is in the neighbourhood of one billion. That is an impressive figure. But what to me is equally impressive is that Islam today is the fastest growing monotheistic religion. This is something we have to take into account. Something is right about Islam. It is attracting a good many people."

Doing a search ... I found the book online... for those interested here's the link

3 Comments:

At 10/04/2005 02:34:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

Anonymous,
I've deleted your comment because it contains foul language which I will not allow on my blog. If you have something to say, please say it in a respectable, civilised manner.

 
At 10/05/2005 06:06:00 AM, Blogger Bee said...

I read this book before, it's pretty interesting. Enjoy!

 
At 10/05/2005 07:25:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

Welcome to my blog wizdom :-) Yep, it is pretty interesting...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home