Living Life

Friday, March 31, 2006

Shahira

I have 11 students in my new class... we sit on a table together... people on my right, my left and facing me... I usually learn my students' names by the first 10 mins of the first class... I mean most of them just 'look like their names' ! But not this time .... for some reason I kept calling a girl called Asmaa - Shahira ... which was the name of another girl in class! Not that I'd call the other one Asmaa... no no ... she was Shahira as well :D... And was this for a day? No... went on like that for like 3 days or something... I'd say Shahira and look at Asmaa on the opposite side of the table... Oh my God ... this has never happened to me... and I was starting to worry that the girl might seriously start to get irritated... students like it when their teachers seem to know their names from the start right away ... creates rapport if you know what I mean.... anyway.. I finally managed to convince myself that she was Asmaa and things have been OK since then :-)

PS. She still looks like a 'Shahira' to me though :-P

9 Comments:

At 3/31/2006 09:58:00 PM, Blogger Aladdin said...

Snap! I, too, had the very same situation, when I insisted that one of my students is "Hossam" while his name is "Kareem" and his twin brother Adham! They were about to get furious at me when I kept misnaming them!! Anyway, join the club!

 
At 4/01/2006 07:54:00 AM, Blogger lifeflaw said...

That's funny; Now I wonder, would I look "Ahmad" to you? :P

 
At 4/01/2006 03:27:00 PM, Blogger MoonLightShadow said...

LOL
I've always wondered if I look my name or not.. should be consulting you in this then ;)

 
At 4/01/2006 06:59:00 PM, Blogger Me ® said...

half my instructors call me 'Maha' for some reason and it's not even close to my real name :) guess i look like a Maha

why do u people do that ? :P

 
At 4/01/2006 08:17:00 PM, Blogger Wonderer said...

When I got to know the bloggers' real names, I said to myself oh no, they do't look like their name, for me they look like:
Me, Doshar, Nerro, Dallula, ATC, Chari, roora, loulou...etc:)
And I guess for some people I do look like wonderer not my real name:)

 
At 4/01/2006 11:06:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

Aladdin,
LOL! Weird, right? But it happens :-D

Ahmad, Moon,
Now this gives us a reason to meet... I have to see if you "look like your names" or not ! ;-)

Maha... errrr.. I mean Me(R) :-P,
"why do u people do that ?"
Coz you look like that ! :-D

Wonderer,
You know... you do look like Wonderer awi... but your real name suits you too :-D

 
At 4/02/2006 02:22:00 AM, Blogger Nightlegend said...

First impression always lasts ,and here we have a live example!

 
At 4/02/2006 05:26:00 PM, Blogger doshar said...

you know ya me, some of my students i have taught for 3 consequetive years! and still i have trouble naming alot of them :(

and just yesterday, a professor who had known me in college, was at work, and he kept on calling me Eman Eman... so as not to embarass him, I would just respond to whatever he says. i actually thought: i wonder what it feels like to be an Iman?

you look more like an Iman to me than (your real name). maybe because they both have an M ?

 
At 4/04/2006 06:36:00 AM, Blogger Me said...

Night,
Yep... "most" of the time first impressions are the ones that last... but there have been times when they didn't...

Doshar,
Ooops ! But I think you've got loads of students... and that might be why you can't remember all their names...

LOL about your prof ... but you were really cute to not embarrass him :)

"you look more like an Iman to me than (your real name). maybe because they both have an M ?"

Maybe ..... but you know ... at one point in time my mama was thinking of calling me Iman ! so maybe that's why ;-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home