Living Life

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Mama's will to learn...

My mum has never used a "modern day computer" ... the last time she dealt with a computer it was one of those ones with "punch hole cards" back in the US around 30 years ago!!!
but she's always been around us while we're working/surfing the net .. whatever .. and she hears all these terms and expressions we use... lately with all of us in different countries.. connecting has been via the internet... be it emails or voice chat or anything else ... so my dad would be the one sending emails and saying "mama says this and that ... etc" , or signing in chat programmes...but sometimes he'd be at work and mama would want to check on us or send something or whatever and she wouldn't be able to ..till he got back ... so mama could take it no longer... and after only two "2 hour" sessions of sitting teaching her the basics (before I left Libya) ... mama was ready to go !!!!

Now she sort of surfs the net, sends emails, and uses Skype ... she is no professional yet.... (had no idea how to use the mouse, and to her... the keyboard was all jumbled up....being used to the typewriter when she used to work) ... but she insists on trying and learning while she can...
She has been and always will be... an example of "it's never too late to learn"...

Thumbs up Mama ... Go Go Go !!!!


Update: My dad just sent this

"Although mum is doing fine with the net, there is something weird about dealing with the mouse, moving it is by using two fingers only as if it may be a live one and one is afraid of it to wake up from a deep sleep !!"

LOL ... even so ... Go Mama Go !!!!!

11 Comments:

At 10/30/2005 09:57:00 PM, Blogger Rain said...

:) I'm really happy to hear that about ur mum..I'm sure with persistence like this , she'll make it (Y).

 
At 10/31/2005 01:22:00 AM, Blogger Me said...

Thanks rain :-)

 
At 10/31/2005 12:02:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

Welcome to the blogosphere Sameh !!!
You're right .. in this case it's more about "the motive behind her will"... but mama has always been learning and learning all throughout her life mashAllah... she is a "lovely creature" indeed :-)

 
At 10/31/2005 01:09:00 PM, Blogger Wonderer said...

I experienced the same thing with my mum. She found herself obliged to enter the computer world after I left Egypt. I have a very close version of yours:)

 
At 10/31/2005 04:17:00 PM, Blogger Nightlegend said...

My mother always joking with us saying that it's so strange that she as a mother of six children(27,25,23,16,14 & 11 years old respectively) and all of them is using the computer with various degrees of professionalism ,how come she doesn't know how to deal with computers? ,I have promised her many times that I will teach her ,your story reminded me of my promise ,I will try to do so soon!

 
At 10/31/2005 09:40:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

Wonderer,
Nice to know that there are other "mums" out there doing the same thing ...salemeeli 3aleiha :-)

Nightlegend,
First of all .. MashAllah ... God bless your family !!! And please do teach your mum asap.. you can't imagine the joy you and her will feel doing this together...

 
At 11/01/2005 02:14:00 AM, Blogger LouLou said...

Meme,

Am planning to teach my Mom too. She is too busy now. 7aram she works so much. My brothers are away but right now she doesn't use the net. She just makes the phone company rich:)

But inshallah when she goes back home she will be retired so she will have more free time. Maybe then I can see her in video chat:)

 
At 11/01/2005 10:33:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

Loulou,
"She just makes the phone company rich:)"

LOL !! God bless our mothers ...

 
At 11/01/2005 10:38:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

PS. Video chat is awesome when the connection is good ya Loul...

 
At 11/06/2005 11:30:00 AM, Blogger nasser said...

my mom is completley lost when it comes to computers lol. once i was guiding her over the phone to send an email, and i told her to left click on the internet explorer icon. she told me a box that said 'properties' kept popping up...after some thinking i realized that she was using the mouse upside down!

good to see atleast one mom is making progress in the tech world hehe.

 
At 11/08/2005 02:47:00 PM, Blogger Me said...

Nasser,
Welcome to my blog... cute story about your mum .. LOL .. but with some training I believe she'll improve... and join my mum in the tech world ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home